If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (440) 237-0077

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

House Warming Safety Tips

11/11/2020 (Permalink)

Space Heater Heating your home is extremely important, but it's equally as important to do so safely.

Leaves have fallen is ...which means winter is just around the corner. Temperatures will begin to cool - especially at night - which means it will be time to fire up the fireplaces, turn on the furnace, and get that space heater out of storage. These are all great ways to keep homes toasty and warm, but they also increase the risk of residential fires. Be sure to follow the safety tips below when preparing to heat your home as we head into the Fall and Winter months:

Fireplaces

  • Inspect your chimney regularly for cracks and obstructions.
  • Don't let creosote build up in your chimney, as it could set off a roof fire.
  • Don't "over build" your fire using too much paper. You could ignite the soot in your chimney.
  • Never burn charcoal in your fireplace. It gives off deadly carbon monoxide.
  • Keep your damper open if there are hot ashes in your fireplace. Closing the damper could enable hot ashes to heat up and cause a damaging fire.
  • Let ashes cool in a sealed metal container.

Furnaces

  • Before you turn on your furnace, have it inspected by a qualified professional.
  • Make sure to check the condition of the automatic controls and emergency shutoffs.
  • If the walls and ceiling around your furnace feel too, add insulation or additional clearance space.
  • Keep all trash and combustibles away from the furnace.
  • Check your chimney for cracks or loose bricks.
  • Seal all unused flue openings with solid masonry.

Space Heaters

  • Make sure your space heater has a working safety light, alarm, automatic shut-off switch, and a cut-off device to prevent overheating.
  • Keep all objects, people and pets at least three feet away from the heater.
  • Never use a space heater in your bathroom. Water and electric appliances don't mix.

Heating your home is extremely important, but it's equally as important to do so safely.

Should you suffer fire damage, contact SERVPRO of Cuyahoga South at 440-237-0077.  

Let us help you make it "Like it never even happened."

Other News

View Recent Posts